Woman spent three days in hospital after her Chihuahua pooped in her mouth while she slept

0

Amanda Gommo took a selfie with dog poop on her face – shortly before throwing up

A woman has spent three days in hospital after her daughter’s dog accidentally pooped on her face while she slept.

Amanda Gommo was taking an afternoon nap with the chihuahua, Belle, when the pooch fell ill and had severe diarrhea.

The mum-of-three had her mouth open and was up and following Belle, when the incident happened, and got some of the mess in her mouth.

The 51-year-old ran to the bathroom to be sick, but later ended up in hospital with a gastrointestinal infection – passed on by Belle.

Gommo recounted how she was catching 40 winks with the dog, “like I always do” when she “suddenly felt something squirt into my mouth.”

“I rushed into the bathroom and my son was in the shower, so before I washed him I had time to take a quick pic!

“It was disgusting, and I screamed violently for hours afterwards – I just couldn’t get the taste out of my mouth.”

Gommo’s daughter took Belle to the vet where she was diagnosed with a nasty stomach bug and put on antibiotics.

But later that day, Gommo started showing the same symptoms as Belle, so she called 111 who sent an ambulance to her house.

Paramedics prescribed him painkillers for his stomach cramps and told him to drink plenty of water to clear up any potential infection.

After their visit, Gommo’s symptoms gradually worsened and 48 hours later the cramps had spread all over his body.

Gommo’s mother then called 999 who dispatched another ambulance, and this time she was taken to Bristol Royal Infirmary and immediately hooked up to a drip.

She was later diagnosed with a gastrointestinal infection that had been transmitted through Belle’s feces in her mouth.

She was kept under observation for three days while they rehydrated her with the electrolytes and glucose she had lost throughout the horrific ordeal.

Gommo, who also suffers from chrome disease, said: “From the time I got sick to the time I was put on a drip, I couldn’t eat anything.

“The cramps got worse until I could feel them all over my body, even in my legs.”

Gommo said she was so dehydrated by the time the second ambulance was dispatched, “being sick and having diarrhea that my kidneys had shrunk to half their size.”

She said her discharge note from hospital said she suffered from a gastrointestinal infection “caused by a dog defecating in my mouth – something the doctors had never seen before”.

“I’ve been drinking two Lucozades a day, lots of tea and lots of water since it happened, and I’m happy to say Belle and I are on the mend.

“I’ve forgiven Belle for her little accident and I still love her with all my heart, but I’ll definitely be more careful about what position we sleep in in the future!”

Related links:

Share.

Comments are closed.